• 100% natural palm leaf basket.
• Folds down and can be used as an open bin.
• Black stripes are colored with naturally-derived dyes; no artificial dyes used.
• Dimensions: 12” H x 12” W
• Fair trade and ethically made by indigenous artisans in the Mixtec region of Oaxaca, Mexico.
• Your purchase gets you a one-of-a-kind piece but also supports artisans and their families, helping them make a living and preserve their artistry that has been passed down generation to generation.
These baskets are handmade with all-natural ingredients by a family-run workshop in the Mixtec region of Oaxaca. These artisans harvest palm leaves thoughtfully to ensure the plants are not over-harvested and can be around to benefit future generations. They then dry and braid the palm and eventually sew it into shape as either placemats, rugs, or baskets. This form of palm weaving employs many members of this small agricultural community and artisans working to pass down their techniques to the next generation so that the artistry is not lost.
Wipe with a clean, dry cloth. Since each placemat is made from natural fibers, please keep away from water and damp items to maintain its look and quality.
If used as a planter, please use plastic pot saucer inside to hold water. Do not plant directly in basket.